Can I Get a Minnesota Divorce if I got married in Another Country?

November 29, 2013  |  Elizabeth A. Schading

You can get a divorce in Minnesota as long as you’ve lived in the State of Minnesota for at least six months. It does not matter where you got married, even if you were married in another country.
However, divorces can get very complicated if your spouse resides in or returns to another country. This situation can have a profound effect on issues of child custody, parenting time, child support, and enforcement.


If both spouses reside in the State of Minnesota then the divorce would be handled just like any other Minnesota divorce. However, you and your attorney may wish to ensure that the conditions under which any children will be permitted to travel internationally are carefully outlined in any divorce settlement. You might also wish to understand exactly what the other country is obligated to do to enforce these agreements.
Child custody issues are not the only issues that grow complicated in an international case, however. There are often special concerns when some marital assets are held overseas, as well.
Make sure that you work very closely with your attorney should you find yourself in this situation. Your case will involve special levels of care.
With 75 years of legal experience, Barna, Guzy, and Steffen is well-prepared to be your family law attorney, regardless of your family’s unique circumstances. Contact us today to discuss your situation in greater detail.