What Should I Do If My Child is injured at School?

October 17, 2013  |  Adriel B. Villarreal

Nothing is more stressful and upsetting than knowing your child has been hurt, especially when he’s been hurt at school. When the immediate emergency has passed and your child has received all necessary medical attention you may find that you’ve been left with a stack of medical bills. In the worst case, your child may have been permanently injured and traumatized by the event.
You need to take some careful steps to get the help you need.

  • After the accident seek immediate medical attention for your child.
  • Document the injury. Ask for a copy of your school’s incident report.
  • Avoid signing anything that anyone asks you to sign.
  • Gather all of the evidence relating to your expenses and losses, such as bills.
  • Speak to a personal injury attorney as soon as you possibly can.
  • Continue to carefully monitor your child for signs of further complications. Seek additional medical attention if necessary.
  • Notify your lawyer of any changes.

When bringing a claim against a school the law requires notice of claim within 180 days of the incident. In cases of a wrongful death, you may have up to one year.
You should be aware that there are special rules about the way that a minor’s injury settlement may be handled. The courts have these rules in place to make sure that parents do not misuse the settlement amount. You should speak to your attorney to understand how any award money can or cannot be used.
Make sure that you and your child get the representation that you both deserve. Contact BGS today. We’ve been offering reliable legal advice to the Minneapolis area for over 75 years, and our PI attorneys can help you with your school yard personal injury case, too.