The loss of a loved one caused by wrongful death can be one of the most difficult things a person can go through. Negligence of another party that leads to death only makes matters worse. When a wrongful death has occurred, families can seek closure and compensation for the loss of their loved one. While compensation can never bring him or her back, the family of the deceased can find financial relief.
The legal team at Barna, Guzy and Steffen have helped numerous clients successfully litigate wrongful death claims over our 75 year history, we can help you too.
Defining Wrongful Death
When death occurs due to another person’s misconduct or negligence, this will be classified as wrongful death. States have formed statutes to ensure that these cases are kept to a minimum, but they are still common in the following fields:
- Automobile Accidents: Defective vehicles can lead to death. When a manufacturer knows about a defect but fails to correct the issue, compensation can be sought.
- Commercial Vehicles: If a commercial vehicle is in an accident because the driver was not following the law, this may be considered wrongful death.
- Medical Malpractice: Negligence of doctors or hospital workers that leads to death. This can be emergency room malpractice, premature discharging or even anesthesiologists that accidently kill a patient.
When a loved one has been killed prematurely and you are not sure if his or her death would be considered wrongful, you must consult with a lawyer. Oftentimes, families do not realize that their loved one’s death was caused by the negligence of another party and that they have a right to compensation.
Compensation Will Vary
Putting a price on a person’s life is a difficult task. The amount of compensation will be based on a variety of factors including:
- Loss of companionship
- Financial dependency of the deceased
- Expenses incurred as a result of death, such as medical and funeral costs
- The income earned by the departed
Determining the amount of compensation you are entitled to should be done with a trusted lawyer that is willing to explore all of the financial loss and burdens that their clients now face. Barna, Guzy & Steffen can help you receive the compensation you deserve to relieve the financial burden you are now faced with. Call us today at 763.780.8500 to set up a consultation.