Minnesota Divorce Attorneys
Legal disputes involving loved ones are often the most difficult situations we, as individuals, face. At BGS, we understand going through a divorce can be an emotionally draining and heart-wrenching process.
It’s one of the reasons our divorce attorneys work hard to ensure that you understand the divorce process in Minnesota and the options available to you throughout the entire engagement. If you need an experienced Minnesota divorce attorney with proven results across a wide range of divorce services, contact our team today for assistance.
Experienced Minneapolis Divorce Lawyers
If you are going through a divorce, it is important for you to understand your rights and legal obligations to your spouse. Our attorneys take a personalized approach throughout the divorce process, ensuring that your priorities are our priorities. Because the divorce process can be emotionally taxing for those participating (including children), it is often a good idea to bring in an advocate help you make sound and informed decisions.
Protect your own and your family’s best interests by speaking with a knowledgeable divorce attorney to ensure that you are taking the right steps throughout the process of your divorce.
BGS’ Family Lawyers
|Dodge, Beverly K.||Sauter, Douglas G.||Schading, Elizabeth A.||Fischbach, Lindsay K.|
At BGS, we have more than 75 years of combined experience with Minnesota Family law proceedings. Each member of our family law staff is sensitive to the financial and personal challenges our clients face. The Divorce Lawyers at Barna, Guzy & Steffen work effectively, accurately, and in a persistent manner in order to resolve legal issues in the best interests of our clients.
Family Law FAQ: How is Child Custody Determined in a Minnesota Divorce?
To speak with an attorney about your specific situation, contact us at (763) 780-8500.
Appointments are available during our office hours Monday – Friday and all of our Family Law attorneys are now offering convenient after-work hours appointments on Tuesday evenings. Liz Schading is also offering 7AM appointments.
Potential Issues in the Divorce Process:
- Who gets custody of the children? Where will they live?
- How much child support will I receive or pay? How will I support my children?
- Who will get to live in our house?
- How will our assets be divided?
- Will my spouse have to pay alimony?
- Who gets to keep our pet?
- I was threatened with domestic violence. Does this affect my divorce?
Divorce varies case by case and can become a long and drawn out process if the two parties are in disagreement. If you are going through the divorce process in the Minneapolis metro area, you might anticipate several standard procedures to occur.
Initial Summons, Petition, or Answer
- A divorce begins with one party serving a Summons and Petition for Dissolution of Marriage on their spouse.
- The spouse then has a 30-day period to serve the Petitioner with an answer or a Counter Petition.
- Once the Petition has been filed, the case is then assigned to a judge.
Early Case Management
- Several counties in Minnesota have adopted the Early Case Management program. Within 3 weeks of filing, both parties, and the attorneys for both parties, meet with the assigned judge for an Initial Case Management Conference.
- The Initial Case Management Conference, or ICMC, focuses on both parties finding resolutions to contested issues in order to eliminate barriers to a settlement.
Pre trial Conference
- If both parties cannot resolve disputed issues, a pretrial conference will be scheduled.
- Disputed issues are discussed.
- After pre trial, the court then sets a trial date. Between the pretrial and trial date, parties typically continue to negotiate disputes and disagreements through their attorneys.
- Your attorney will prepare you and gather all necessary witnesses and information for trial.
The Decision to Divorce in Minnesota
The family law attorneys at Barna, Guzy & Steffen understand the decision to divorce is difficult. It’s certainly a good idea to ask yourself: Do I really want a divorce?
If you’re here seeking help, you’ve likely asked yourself that very question repeatedly while second guessing your answers each and every time. That’s normal. Taking the time to decide what you most want today and into the future is paramount for you and your family and should not be done haphazardly.
However, if your answer to that question is “yes”, our experienced attorneys are here to help you take the next steps.
For more information about the stages of divorce in Minneapolis, MN or to schedule an appointment for an initial consultation, contact the attorneys at Barna, Guzy & Steffen at (763) 780-8500.
BGS’ Divorce Law Team Paralegals