A Tradition of Service Since 1938:
Barna, Guzy & Steffen Ltd. Celebrates 80 Years of Legal Service
Barna, Guzy and Steffen, Ltd (BGS) is a full service law firm providing clients with the personal and professional services they deserve since 1938.
The firm was founded by the late Honorable Joseph E. Wargo. Wargo graduated from University of Minnesota Law School in 1938 and he opened his law office in Columbia Heights, where he was raised. Wargo left his office and took a tour of duty with the Navy for World War II. He was later joined by Peter Barna (1953) and Robert Guzy (1958). They moved their combined practice into a remodeled grocery store building in Columbia Heights where they practiced for many years. They merged with Merrill, Hynes and Giancola for a time becoming Barna, Guzy, Merrill, Hynes and Giancola after Wargo left to become a district judge.
The firm moved to Coon Rapids in 1991 after a merger with Anoka firm Steffen Munstentieger. Coon Rapids was chosen as a central location between Anoka and Columbia Heights, with the benefit of being close to major highways and the courthouse in Anoka.
Over the years, the firm has had mergers, moved, and grown into what is now a 30-attorney law firm serving a variety of clients that include municipalities and government entities, educational and financial institutions, insurance companies, and entrepreneurial organizations, as well as individuals seeking representation in family law, personal injury, criminal defense, and estate planning. BGS lawyers can resolve issues through negotiation, mediation, or arbitration, and when necessary, aggressively represent clients in court. BGS attorneys have represented clients in state and federal courts in the metropolitan area as well as throughout Minnesota.
The law firm of Barna, Guzy & Steffen, Ltd. held its annual meeting March 24th, 2017 at Bunker Hills Golf Club in Coon Rapids. The meeting included a gathering of the Board of Directors, a State of the Firm given by William F. Huefner, reports from the Practice Group Managers and elections.
The Board of Directors re-elected William F. Huefner as Firm President and Chairman of the Board; Joan M. Quade and Charles M. Seykora were re-elected for three year terms on the Board of Directors. Charles M. Seykora was re-elected as Treasurer, and Bradley A. Kletscher was re-elected as Secretary.
Re-appointed as Practice Group Managers were Joan M. Quade (Litigation/Municipal) and Adriel B. Villarreal (Consumer) and Carole Clark Isakson was named practice group leader For the Real Estate/Corporate group for her first term.
BGS is proud of its long standing relationships with clients and with the community it has served for 80 years. The firm was built on the premise of providing the best legal service for our clients to achieve their goals and guide them through exciting as well as difficult times. It is with great honor and privilege that they look forward to continuing the tradition of legal service built by the firm’s founders and strengthened by the integrity of those serving the community today.