Misdemeanors are not to be taken lightly. Charges of this kind can result in incarceration and serious fines. With the representation of a criminal defense lawyer, you may be able to reduce incarceration time and/or fines, or if you are not guilty, have the charges against you dropped altogether. Understanding the law and the charges against you are the first steps to ensuring that you find the right lawyer for your case.
What is a Misdemeanor
A misdemeanor, as classified under the law, is a crime in which the sentence is up to 90 days in jail. Misdemeanors are often something small like theft or DUI/DWI.
Types of Misdemeanors
There are two types of misdemeanors that every person should know: gross and regular.
- Gross Misdemeanor: A misdemeanor that is more serious in nature. These charges may come with fines up to $3,000 and incarceration up to the maximum of 12 months.
- Regular Misdemeanor: A regular misdemeanor is a lesser crime. Most crimes classified as regular misdemeanors only come with a fine and/or community service. Incarceration may also be included with a regular misdemeanor, but cannot exceed 90 days in jail or $1000 in fines.
Finding a Lawyer if You Were Charged With a Misdemeanor in Minnesota
Finding a lawyer to fight your misdemeanor charges isn’t something most people prepare for ahead of time. While there are many criminal defense lawyers in Minnesota who could take your case, you will want to find a lawyer with extensive experience in misdemeanor or gross misdemeanor charges to make sure you get the best defense available.
Simply put: a lawyer who has trial experience and has won cases for their clients in the past is what you need.
Traits Your Lawyer Must Have
If you’re facing a misdemeanor charge in Minnesota, time if of the essence. Any criminal defense lawyer will do a better job given more time to work on your case. That said, there are a few traits that you should demand from your criminal defense team:
- Experience representing others with similar charges
- Availability to answer questions throughout the process
- Particular understanding of the laws particular to your case
The right criminal defense lawyer will assist with key defense strategies including gathering evidence, speaking to witnesses and doing whatever they can to lessen the penalties you are facing.
Get the Help You Need
Scheduling a consultation and speaking with a prospective attorney will help you feel comfortable with the decision you ultimately make regarding your defense. The BGS criminal defense team is here to help you with each phase of your case and ready to fight for your freedom. If you’d like to discuss the specifics of your situation with one of our criminal defense attorneys, give us a call and make an appointment. It’s time you had someone help fight for your rights!