Felonies carry a very serious penalty. When a crime is committed, the crime will be classified as a felony or a misdemeanor. In essence, these are two different levels of crimes where the classification determines the penalties a crime warrants.
What is a Felony?
A felony is a crime which warrants a jail sentence that exceeds 12 months. The type of felony that a person commits will have a much greater impact on the time of incarceration that a person is given.
Types of Felonies
Felonies and misdemeanors often occur for the same type of crime. This, for instance, would be the circumstances and extent of a crime. Even similar crimes, such as assault or theft, can be a felony if the circumstances meet specific requirements.
Theft: A prime example of a crime that can easily be a felony or misdemeanor. The amount or value of the goods or money taken without the consent of the owner will determine whether a theft is a theft or a larceny, which is a felony. Some states consider any property stolen that exceeds $500 – $1,000 a felony.
Finding a Felony Defense Lawyer
Experience and location are two essential elements to consider when evaluating felony defense lawyers. The criminal lawyer you ultimately select will need to be:
- Experienced in felony cases
- Available to work on your case
- Conversant with local laws and statutes
There are also factors to consider for yourself when trying to identify a felony lawyer who will properly defend your rights in court. These factors include:
- Initial Consultation: Finding the right lawyer for felony charges shouldn’t be completed in an online search. A personal consultation will allow you to speak with a potential lawyer to see if they are a good fit for you.
- Payment Options: Flexible payment options may be required, especially if you must pay hefty fines as a result of your case.
- Past Experience: The experience of a lawyer is far more important than any other trait they have. This will be actual courtroom experience wherein the lawyer has successfully defended clients in similar circumstances to yours in the past.
What Makes a Good Felony Lawyer
There is a big distinction between a good and bad criminal defense lawyer. The traits you will want in a defense lawyer will be those most important to winning your case including:
- Skilled Researcher: Gathering evidence, researching similar cases and even hiring expert witnesses are all very important factors to winning your case.
- Credible Track Record: A proven track record and previous experience are very important factors when determining your criminal defense team. An experienced lawyer that specializes in felonies is far more valuable than a lawyer with no prior experience in criminal cases.
- Availability: Questions and concerns must be addressed promptly. Your lawyer should be available to you when you need them most.
To put it simply, defeating your felony charges will largely depend on the lawyer that you choose.
Choosing a Felony Lawyer in Minnesota
Naturally, we believe the best representation you can receive if you’re facing felony charges, would be to contact the criminal defense team at Barna, Guzy and Steffen. No matter what course of action you take to defend your freedom, it is imperative that you find a lawyer with experience in cases similar to your own who has a track record of successful outcomes from previous clients in your circumstance.