Where there’s a Will, there’s a Way

Many people in Minnesota are married. Many of those same people own a home, cabin, farm, hunting land or other real estate and many of our clients think that because both the husband and wife have their names on the deed, that the survivor simply become the sole owner of the real property upon the death of their spouse. This is incorrect. In order for title to real estate to pass to the surviving spouse, they must own the property as Joint Tenants. If the title does not list husband and wife as Joint Tenants, then the default is Tenants in Common. This means that when one owner dies, their interest in the property is subject to a probate court proceeding. If the Decedent has..

read more

Estate Planning Attorney Bobbi Hermanson-Albers Joins Barna, Guzy & Steffen, Ltd.

Barna, Guzy & Steffen LTD. announces the addition of a new associate to our firm. Bobbi Hermanson-Albers has joined the firm’s Estate Planning department. She will be working closely with estate planning attorney William H. Huefner practicing in the firm’s growing Wills/Estates & Probate/Tax Planning Law area serving existing clients and enhancing the firm’s ability to serve our community. We are happy to welcome Bobbi to BGS from her most recent position practicing in family law at a boutique law firm in Minneapolis. She has also previously worked in Minnesota’s 10th Judicial District Court (Stillwater, MN) as a Judicial Law clerk to the Honorable B. William Ekstrum. Bobbi graduated cum laude from Hamline University School of Law in 2014 ranked in the..

read more

Things to Update After Divorce

The divorce has been finalized. You’ve paid your divorce attorney. Now what? Aside from moving on with your life, there are several things that you’ll need to update after the divorce. While each case is unique, there are some common steps that nearly every couple will take after they’re officially divorced. These include: Dividing up all the property as per the divorce decree. Change your motor vehicle titles to reflect appropriate ownership as per your divorce decree. Change your name with Social Security and on your passport. Change the name on your driver’s license. The requirements for this will vary from state to state, but in most cases, you will need to..

read more