It goes without saying that spinal cord injuries can lead to a lifetime of hardship. While not all spinal cord injuries result in paralysis, many cases do lead to paralysis or months of rehabilitation. It is estimated as of 2013 that over 12,000 people in the United States each year suffers from a spinal cord injury. Of those injured, more than half of them are a result of motor vehicle accidents.
The Effects of Spinal Cord Injuries
Every accident and injury involving the spinal cord is different which means you’ll want, and need, an attorney with experience in spinal cord injury defense strategies.
Life changes drastically due to spinal cord injuries wherein the loss of mobility is so great that a wheelchair is needed. Pain, suffering and a complete lifestyle change often result.
Financial strain and the ability to work will also be hindered. Spinal cord injuries may result in:
- Partial paralysis. Called Paraparesis, only the lower extremities are effected.
- Complete paralysis of lower extremities. Paraplegia effects the legs and lower trunk.
- Partial paralysis of all limbs called Quadriparesis.
- Full paralysis, or Quadriplegia. The loss of function in all limbs.
Losing function in any or all limbs is devastating. The recovery road is harder than is fair to anyone in these circumstances. Call the personal injury experts at Barna Guzy and Steffen if you’re unfortunate enough to be dealing with a spinal injury. Our top injury attorneys will begin building the best possible defense for your situation based on the over 50 years of combined experience we’ve acquired defending clients suffering from these types of injuries.
Common Causes for Spinal Injures
There are many causes that can result in a spinal cord injury. Among the most common causes are:
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Slip and fall incidents
- Sports-related injuries
- Violence-related injuries
Seeking Compensation for All the Setbacks Involved
Injuries of this magnitude will result in several expenses. Pain and suffering as well as a diminished earning capabilities will invariably come into play. Compensation for severe injuries is based on many factors including:
- Bills incurred as a result of the injury. Surgeries, medical stays, expert physicians and the like
- The cost of rehabilitation and any devices needed, such as a wheelchair or transfer board.
- Income that was lost due to the inability to work as well as future income lost as a result of the injuries.
- Pain and suffering, both physical and emotional, will be taken into consideration with injuries of this type.
Secure Legal Counsel Today
When spinal cord injuries occur you will want and need the assistance of experienced spinal injury attorneys. At BGS, we have the compassion, dedication and professionalism cases like this demand. We promise to construct the best legal defense possible to help you restructure your life and recover the best and most complete way possible.
Understanding and determining a fair amount based on your injuries can be a difficult task. Putting a price on mobility is nearly impossible, but we can fight on your behalf to ensure that your medical bills are paid, your suffering has been acknowledged and that you are financially secure after your accident.
Contact us today for a free consultation. We are ready to put our experience and dedication to work for you as you begin the healing process.